When the temperatures are rising, it is imperative you stay hydrated since your body is craving for more fluids. While gulping down pure water is probably the best solution, sometimes you will want to add some extra flavor to your drink.
As most store-bought drinks are loaded with sugar and artificial flavorings, consider making homemade beverages without all the added chemicals and sugar. Here are some delicious summer drinks you should try:
Iced Chai Tea
Here’s an awesome iced chai tea recipe that will blow you away. Enjoy this incredibly refreshing and easy to make recipe:
Makes 8 cups or servings
- 1/3 cup granulated water (75 mL)
- 4 bags black tea
- 2 cardamom pods, broken
- 2 slices of ginger root
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. aniseed (1 ml)
- 2 cloves
- 9 cups water
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Pour 8 cups of boiling water in a large heatproof bowl, and place the teabags.
- Allow the teabags to rest for 4 minutes before discarding them.
- Meanwhile, pour 1 cup of water in a saucepan and then add the ginger, aniseeds, sugar, cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon, bringing all the ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and allow the ingredients to simmer, until the solution is clear and the spices have infused for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the tea into a jug and allow it to cool to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate the drink until ice cold.
- Strain the solution through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into pitcher.
- Pour the drinks into the serving glasses
- Garnish with lemon slices and ice. Enjoy!
Cucumber & Melon White Sangria
This delicious and refreshing drink is a healthy cocktail you will want to sip on all summer. Rest assured, the drink has no added sugars and contains tons of healthy fruits and basil to keep you hydrated and rejuvenated throughout the day. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 bottle dry Riesling or Gewürztraminer, 750-mL
- 2 cups honeydew melon, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup chilled plain seltzer
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- Ice as desired
- Combine all the ingredients except the ice and the seltzer in a large pitcher
- Refrigerate until the drink is chilled, about 4 hours
- Before serving, stir in the seltzer
- Serve with ice
Lemons are incredibly healthy ingredients that are high in vitamin C. Vitamin C plays an integral role in cleansing the body while the basil adds a rejuvenating flavor to this delicious sugar free lemonade. Here’s the recipe.
- 4 cups ice cold water
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Stevia, to taste
- In a large pitcher, place the basil in the bottom
- Muddle the basil by gently crushing the leaves
- Combine the water and lemon juice
- Pour over the basil leaves
- Pour in the stevia to taste
- Serve over ice
Hibiscus-Pomegranate Iced Tea
This delicious low calorie drink is a combination of fresh pomegranate juice and refreshing berry-flavored hibiscus tea. For added sweetness, add some honey. Here’s the incredibly easy and refreshing recipe:
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate juice or nectar
- ¼ cup hibiscus tea or 12 herbal tea bags with hibiscus
- 4 cups boiling water
- 4 cups cold water
- Sliced lemon wedges (optional, for garnishing)
- In a large pot of boiling water, steep the loose tea or the tea bags for 3-4 minutes
- Strain the solution or simply discard the tea bags
- Pour the solution into a large pitcher
- Combine cold water and pomegranate juice or the nectar
- Refrigerate the drink until chilled, for about 2 hours
- Serve with ice or lemon wedges if desired
Sparkling Lime-Mint Quencher
It is time you ditch sugary soda and try this incredibly healthy non-alcoholic drink. Lime drinks are incredibly refreshing and have a slightly tart taste that awakens your taste buds. This quencher will keep you hydrated and rejuvenated throughout summer:
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 2 cups sparkling seltzer water
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup ice
- Add the lime juice, the mint leaves and maple syrup in a large glass
- Add the ice in two separate glasses
- Divide the mixture into the two separate glasses
- Top off the drinks with sparkling seltzer water
- Garnish with fresh lime slices
Southern Style Sweet Tea
If you want to combine the taste of south to your summery drink then we have the perfect recipe for you. Treat yourself to this sweet and delicious drink that will impress all your guests. Here’s the easy to make recipe:
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 8 cups ice cold water
- 6 green tea bags (small sized)
- ½ cup honey (can be substituted with maple syrup)
- 8 fresh mint leaves (optional, for garnishing)
- Place a small or medium sized saucepan over high heat
- Add 2 cups of water, let it heat until the water starts steaming
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the tea bags
- Allow the tea bags to steep, preferably for 8 minutes
- Finally, discard the tea bags and add the honey or maple syrup. Stir well to combine all the ingredients
- In a half gallon pitcher, add 6 cups of ice cold water, then add the tea. Stir all the ingredients well
- Top it off with sliced lemons wedges or mint leaves
Note: Do not boil the teabags as it will result in a strong bitter taste.
Enjoy these easy to make healthy summer drink recipes, you won’t regret it!